CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 4, 2011

Snicker Cake and Small Shell Noodles

This past weekend, I tried some different recipes.  It seems that for the last few years I have been cooking the same way.

It actually started when my husband of almost 37 years, decide that he needed to loose weight.  He has always been a runner of 5 to 10 miles at least every other day if not every day.  But when he retired from the Air Force, he didn't have the time to run as he had then.  So the weight began to creep up on him.
So for the last two years, we have been trying to do Low Carb.  While I find that okay, I still enjoy my carbs.  And with teenagers in the house, well, you can see the problem.

This past Sunday, I decided to try out a new recipe.  It called for milky way bars, but I decided on snickers.  Believe me, when I say that a cake can be inhaled, I mean it.  I have made a number of cakes in my life, but this one beat the all time, of disappearing.

CANDY BAR CAKE
yourhomebasedmom.com  


1 C packed light brown sugar
1/2 C granulated sugar
2 C flour
8 tablespoons ( 1 stick ) butter, softened
1 C buttermilk  ( you can add 1 tbl. of lemon to 1 cup of milk, let it sit for 5  min)
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
5 full sized Snickers bar, chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 pan and set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together the sugars, flour and butter.  Crumble these ingredients together with a pastry blender or for, until the mixture is crumbly and coarse.  Set aside 1/2 of the crumbs to a small bowl.  In another bowl combine the remaining crumbs, the buttermilk, egg, vanilla, baking soda and salt.  Mix well.

Pour batter into the pan, smoothing it to the edges.  Sprinkle the top of the cake with the reserved crumbs and chopped candy.  Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until the center is no longer gooey, but a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs.  The cake may fall slightly in the center leaving the edges raised.  No worries.  it still is amazing!

Recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe


Then on Monday night, my Lexi, asked for the small shell noodles.  This was a recipe that my mother would make when one of the kids were sick.  I know, most of you are thinking "Chicken Soup".  But I am telling you, this is what comfort food was in our house.  It is creamy and easy to swallow.

SMALL SHELLS

1 package of small shell noodles
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 C of milk
1 large can of white chicken (Sweet Sue) I tried the Walmart brand, but I like Sweet Sue better

Boil noodles and drain.  Place back in pan, add soup, milk and chicken.   Add salt and pepper to taste.    Sometimes I use more milk.  You really cannot go wrong with this.  But enjoy.  I also add hot sauce to my bowl and enjoy it with a salad and crackers.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...