CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Better Together

Today, I wanted to share a post from www.homesanctuary.com.  I love my time alone, but I also enjoy my family and friends.  So when my sister came down, I had her drive me to the mailbox. Now this is not a really big thing, seeing that it is just down the lane.  But it had been awhile since I had gotten to talk with her or spend any time with her.  It wasn't a long time, but I enjoyed it just the same.






I'm a big believer in Alone Time.  I need it to recharge my energy and find inspiration.  Hey, sometimes I need it just to get myself psyched up to face the onslaught of needs that face me each day.  Now that my kids are all older, I have much more Alone Time than back in the days when sitting on the potty with the door closed was exquisite luxury.  Believe me, constipation was a welcome friend.

Husbands need Alone Time as well.  They are out there slaying dragons in the work world and then expected to be tender caregivers the moment they walk through the door.  Even if they have a cushy job with no interruptions (what would THAT be like????), time to be alone with their thoughts or their tools is important.  It's sometimes hard to respect that when you feel like you're being devoured by little piranha people on the home front, but it's one of those things that you've got to do for each other sometimes.

Still, there's something good about togetherness. There is sweetness in keeping someone company.  I'm not really talking about long, romantic walks in the rain, or even deep talks with a girlfriend over coffee.  I'm talking about when someone invites you to be with them to watch TV or wash the dishes.  To sit nearby while you both read.  To take a ride to the car wash.  It makes you feel special to be invited.  It's the "Company Girl" thing in action.

When someone asks you if you want to walk to the water cooler at work, or when a child requests that you sit and watch him stack blocks, you are being invited into that person's life.  When you think about that, it's pretty cool.  And makes you want to tread carefully.

Today's Small Thing is for you to invite someone along.  It doesn't matter where, or for what or for how long.  Just try "hey, want to share a sliced apple?" or  "can I play with your hair? (always a hit at our house), or "want to read together?"  It can be casual and last for just a minute, but when you invitesomeone to share your time you're communicating Belonging.  You're saying that you enjoy their company and you like being together.  And that just feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...