CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 5, 2011

LABOR DAY

When I was growing up, I so remember that my Mother would have to do her shopping during the week and at the latest, Saturday.  It was unheard of to think of going to the mall or grocery store on a Sunday.    The weekend was for people to go to the church of their choice, but definitely not for shopping.

So today when I needed to go to Walmart for the things that I had planned on cooking, I had to THANK the cashier that checked me out.  I try to remember to thank people when we go out to eat on Sunday after church, for giving up their Sunday's to work.  I found myself asking, "why do I wait until Sunday to go to the store, when I don't work and have all week to do so?"  I think I would have to say, "I'm not sure."

Today is Labor Day, a day that is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of all American Workers.  The Workers down through the years are the backbone of the strength, prosperity, and well being of our United States of America.  I want to say, THANK YOU to each one that choose today to stay at their jobs and forgo their own family gatherings.

I usually find our home full of children and family on holidays.  Yet, today, I only had my children that live close.  My sister and her two daughters, with their families live close, but for today, we chose to not get together.  I think that everyone is so tired of going that we chose to stay close to home.

My daughter and her husband, grilled the meat and fixed a green bean casserole, that was outstanding.  Then I was told that I would do the potato salad, deviled eggs and of course, the tuna dip.

My potato salad is rather simple.  Only potatoes, onions, dill relish, eggs, mustard and mayonnaise.

I know that reading others blogs, many others made deviled eggs.  I read of others making it with onions, sweet relish, and paprika in them.  I have at times put dill relish, but that didn't go over well.  So I just stick with taking the yolk, mustard, mayonnaise, salt and pepper, and mashing it all together.  I don't even do the frills, I just take a spoon and fill the center of the egg.  I wanted so much to do something fancy, but I had gotten rid of my cookie press.  So plain it was.  But they did get all eaten.


Now on to the TUNA DIP.  It has been at least 35 years since I first tried this recipe.  I think that I found it the daily paper.  All you do is take 1 8 oz. can of tuna that is in water, 1 8 oz tub of sour cream.  I also add worcestershire sauce and onion salt.  Now for these last two, I add a little at a time until it tasted like I thought. Start with a tsp of the onion salt and 1 tbl of worcestershire sauce.


This was by far the quickest and easiest Labor Day, I have had in a long time.  I even got my hair colored after dinner.  Now that was a great big plus.  Thanks to my daughter, Bridgett.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...